Does My Mum Need To Pay For Her Own Care?

Social care is rarely free and in most cases, your parents will be expected to contribute to the cost of their own care. However, the amount they will need to pay will depend on a few different factors, including the level of need and the types of assets that they have. This means that your mum might be eligible for financial support, if she has less than £23,250 in savings, which is known as the upper capital limit. To determine the level of need that she needs, it’s essential for her to get an assessment of needs. Below you will find a few key things that you need to know about accessing financial support and navigating the care system.

Getting An Adult Care Assessment

A Care Act assessment is something any adult can request, including older people and those with disabilities or mental health problems. It’s usually carried out at home or in hospital with a social worker, and its purpose is to identify what support someone needs to help them live their life. For example, they might ask her about managing everyday tasks, such as dressing, washing, and cooking. Therefore, it’s important to prepare for the assessment in advance. It may be useful to check out our glossary page to learn more about the different abbreviations and relevant terms you need to know about.

Finding Out If She Qualifies For Support

Once the assessment has been carried out, your mum will receive the results which will identify the type of care and support that she is eligible for. If the assessment identifies that she needs help, a financial assessment will be arranged to see if the council will pay for your mum’s care. It’s possible that the assessment may determine that she doesn’t qualify for care and support. However, in this case, she should still be given advice and guidance on where she can access help in the community.

Getting A CHC Assessment

Continuing Healthcare is a branch of NHS funding for adults aged 18 and over with significant ongoing health needs. One of the benefits of Continuing Healthcare funding is that your mum will not need to contribute towards the cost of her care, as the NHS pays for this. To find out if your mum qualifies for Continuing Healthcare, a CHC assessment will need to be carried out with a nursing professional and a social worker.

Arranging Care As A Self-Funder

It’s possible for your mum to arrange care as a self-funder without involving the council. Firstly, you should find out how much she will have to pay so that she can set aside enough money. The amount she will need to pay will depend on whether she wants to pay for carers at home, in which case you will need to check hourly rates or look into care homes. If your mum is a homeowner, she might be able to fund her long-term care by moving to a smaller property or using an equity release scheme.

Overcoming Setbacks In The Process

Getting access to the right funding and support can be difficult, so it’s important to seek additional help. At Socia Partners, we provide excellent quality services to ensure you can reduce the stress and anxiety that often come with navigating the complex and confusing Adult Social Care system. We are here to offer accurate information and advice to ensure that you can overcome the barriers you may encounter throughout this process. For more information, you can also have a look at our FAQs and find out what you can expect at every step.

Make sure you contact Socia Partners today, if you need support with CHC funding for you or a loved one.


Related Posts

Care Home Considerations

Care Home Considerations

As individuals age, the need for long-term care becomes more common. Residential and nursing care homes offer a supportive environment for elderly individuals who require...


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *